Friday, January 23, 2009

Hats off to the protectors!!!!


I, like many others was very happy to witness the Inauguration of the 44th President of the United States. I had been watching, reading and listening to any updates that would give a clue of just how the events would unfold. When I posted the blog about the train ride that President Obama was going to be taking, I must admit that I became somewhat fearful about the that idea. Talking to many of my friends, they were thinking along the same lines as me. Was it safe? Should he put himself in such a vulnerable situation?
I was pretty sure that law enforcement officials were going to do everything within their capacity to protect Obama but, I was moreso worried about the fanatical people out their who just wanted to hurt Obama just because…well we all know. Reportedly, the biggest risk was the massing on the National Mall, where no inaugural tickets are required and spectators watched and heard Obama's swearing-in and inaugural address on huge video screens. If a suicide bomber or two or three would have gotten loose in that crowd, God only knows what would happen. It would have been disastrous. Since the inauguration was designated a "National Special Security Event," the Secret Service was responsible not only for the safety of Obama and Vice President, Joe Biden, but alsofor protecting everybody in attendance.
I underestimated the law enforcement.
Law enforcement officials reported that Obama wore bullet-resistant clothing, spoke behind a protective glass shield and rode in the parade in the armored Cadillac limousine, with doors and windows so thick that he probably would have survived a bomb blast.
Trailing his car were black vans loaded with Special Weapons and Tactics and counter-assault teams, high-speed communications equipment and electronic devices capable of jamming the detonators for homemade bombs.
Nondescript boxes that could detect the airborne releases of chemical or biological weapons such as lethal anthrax spores were scattered among the crowds.
I am very proud of the job that they did in ensuring that the Inauguration ceremony and events went smoothly. Matter of fact, I stand and give them honor for a job well done. They protected the citizens and the elected officials. “Hats off to the men & women who keep us safe!”

No comments: