
For the past few days I have been focusing my attention on another blogspot of mine, called Rethinking Africa.(rethinkingafrica.blogspot.com) Its a place where I consider all the options and opinions that we, as Westerners, say will help Africa. Sometimes we think that we have all the answers but it is the questions that we have wrong. I'm not an expert, just a concerned individual who will make a difference. (notice I said will make a difference, not want) Please check it out if you get a chance.
Something happend to me the other day that really made me "rethink" my own life.
I was running late for my first class, so I decided to run across the campus. As I was running, I fell and landed on the edge of some concrete steps. Yep, its as painful as it sounds. Long story short, my knee swoll to the size of an orange. I have bruises,scrapes and cuts as souvenirs of my fall.
As a result of my injury, I had to miss the rest of the week from school and work. I began to become frustrated because time is money and money is time. Most of you who have been following my blog can pretty much tell by now that I am a low-maintenance type of lady. I don't need manicures, pedicures, visits to the mall or stuff like that. In fact, I'm pretty simple. And a bit frugal. But, my ability to work ensures that I can keep the simple things that I have obtained in my life: my home, car, education, daily bread, medical & dental insurance, and all the needs that my kids require.
But, this time off has made me realize a few things. Many Americans, are one step away from being in the "poorhouse". For many in the working class, an injury or becoming very ill is just not an option. Yes, America is facing a financial crisis but this has nothing to do with that. The reality of the working class is this-many of us live from paycheck to paycheck. Any interuptions in that cycle could bring on devastation. We simply can't afford to take time off. We can't afford to stay home and recover from an injury.
As a student, I pretty much have my expenses on a tight budget. I work. Get paid. Pay bills. Do it all over again for the next pay period. Although, this is a hard way to survive it also motivates me to continue working on my degree.
So, here I am at home with an elevated leg. Sipping on some green tea and trying muster up the strength to make it to my shift tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment