Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"April, oh April"

Some years ago I watched the movie,Sometimes in April.
In April 1994, one of the most heinous genocides in world history began in the African nation of Rwanda. Over the course of 100 days, close to one million people were killed in a terrifying purge by Hutu nationalists against their Tutsi countrymen. The main character describes how the month of April makes him sad because of the cruel evnts that he faced during this month. I am beginning to to dislike the month of April also.
We have a saying, "April showers brings May flowers." Could this mean after all the tears that April has brought us...May will be more promising? I sure hope that May will be more joyous!
Today is the 21st day of April...not been alot of raindrops...only tear drops. Although April brings warmer weather, beautiful scenes of azaleas, daffoldils and roses amongst layers of thick green grass, there is a sadness in the air. Perhaps this sadness is felt from heart to heart because of April. The beginning of April was "okay" for me. But, as we draw close to its end, it seems like bad news and tragic reminders just keep coming.
A co-worker was in a bad vehicle accident. A family friend died in another vehicle accident. (other events have happend which I won't discuss out of respect to those who are bereaving) It's just one thing after the other!

Here is a list of wars that began in April:
The American Revolution (04/18/1775)
The American Civil War (04/1861)
The Bosnian War (04/1992)
The Rwandan Genocide (04/1994)
The Armenian Genocide (04/24/1914)

Other tragic events in April include:
President Abraham Lincoln's assassination (04/14/1865)
The 1906 San Francisco Earthquake 04/18/1906)
The sinking of the RMS Titanic (04/14/1912)
Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination (04/04/1968)
Chernobyl nuclear accident (04/26/1986)
The 1992 Los Angeles Riots after the Rodney King verdict (04/29/1992)
The bloody end to the Branch Davidian siege in Waco, Texas (04/19/1993)
Qana Massacre in Lebanon (04/18/1996)
The Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania, Australia (04/28/1996)

April also brings commemorations focusing on those who died and also those who survived the Holocaust are remembered and honored.

2 comments:

Abena Serwaa said...

Intriguing...really makes you think..Columbine happened in April too right? But then again. Many good things have happened in April including the birth of my sister, my boss and very bad things have happened in other months!

Ki said...

Abena,
Yep you're right! Good things do happen in April! My baby girl was born during this month. (7 years ago:)
I guess with all the gloomy news I've been receiving lately . . .I just felt like whining. Thanks for putting up with it. (lol)
Abena, please get in contact with me...I will be in Accra & Tema this summer. kishiamccain@yahoo.com