Monday, November 2, 2009

I'm an "ex"


The very same day that I decided to get my hair "chopped" I also made the decision to eliminate meat, fish and chicken from my diet. Now, for an African American that is a very hard thing to do because "soul food" revolves around the main dish...chicken fish, stew, ribs, or some kind of meat. To be honest with you, many black people feel that if you don't have some kind of meat on your plate then you are not truly eating and may even perish from lack of nourishment.
"Why would you want to do a thing like that?" "Is everything okay?" "Are you feeling well?" are the questions that some of my family members ask. In their minds this is most craziest thing that they have ever heard of and there must be something wrong with me. But, to be honest with you I am feeling better than I have felt in a long time. I have more energy. I don't have that bloated-full feeling that I used to have. It's been two months and I don't even crave any type of meat. If I did the food industry has made all sorts of vegetarian products that can fulfill that yearning. For example, if I wanted a burger...then I could eat a "veggie burger" which is made from soy beans instead of a cow.
Out of all the questions that friends and family ask, there is one question that seems to ponder in everyone's minds. Why? I could go on and on about my reasons. First of all, I am not an animal activist or anything like that. My reasons are health related. But, just to give you and idea of where I am coming from here we go:


Meat, Fish and poultry transmit bacterial and parasitic infections to humans. Pesticides, antibodies, and hormones find access to our bodies through the meat we eat.
The fat found in dairy products and all animals except fish is highly saturated. Saturated fats in the diet tend to raise the blood cholesterol and accelerate the development of hardening of the arteries by the process of arteriosclerosis.
... what about protein?
We are told we need meat for protein, but we are NOT told that the cooking of meat changes the molecular structure of the protein and renders the protein in the meat unusable by the human body. Even if the meat could be assimilated properly by the body, cooking it kills almost all of the nutrients and if meat is not cooked, well then we have a host of other problems. We are only eating it for taste.
It is a known fact that eating flesh of dead animals is hard to digest and some of it rots in the gut before elimination can take place and this putrefying residue is absorbed into the blood stream and it poisons the entire system.
As it stands today, I am an ex meat eater.

No comments: