Woke up this morning and immediately had to give thanks. First, to God because I just believe that He is the One who allowed me to wake up to another day. Then, I had to thank my fellow countrymen (of course women too) for the unselfish deeds that they did for me. Actually, not just me, but for my children and future generations.
Today is Memorial Day! Today in America, we will celebrate and honor all of our men and women who have exchanged their lives for our freedom. We honor our fallen soldiers on this day. Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.
Originally known as Decoration Day, it originated in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971. Many Americans observe Memorial Day by visiting cemeteries or memorials, holding family gatherings and participating in parades. Unofficially, at least, it marks the beginning of summer!
Like myself, many Americans did not have to go to work on this federal holiday. So, the most American thing to do on a paid day off is to get a few extra hours of sleep or break out the grill. That may sound a bit odd to some folks but, I say this without any guilt because I work really hard. Not only do I work but, I also spend hours upon hours volunteering.
So, today we took our time and enjoyed this beautiful day. Gave thanks to God for all of our blessings! Cooked outdoors on the grill and watched a good movie. I talked with the kids about the men and women in my family who served this country. When the sun sets we will light up some fireworks and continue to thank God for the men & women who served.
Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:
Post a Comment