Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Is there a such thing as doing nothing?


Is there a such thing as doing nothing? I don't think so because even when you are sitting idle your body is still in motion. (trying to maintain homeostasis.Human homeostasis refers to the body's ability to regulate its internal physiology to maintain stability in response to fluctuations in the outside environment.) "I didn't do nothing today!" I didn't leave my condo at all today. Matter of fact, the sun is setting in Charlotte and I am still in my pajamas. No, I'm not sick or anything like that I am just having some "me time". I didn't have any classes today so I decided to stay in to give myself and the place I call home some extra attention. All of my friends have called me in disbelief. "You mean YOU are still at home, are you sick or something?" they asked. I agreed with them that this was very unlike me but I assured them that all was well...and it is.
I guess it's a good thing that I am relaxing because I have a full schedule this weekend. I have to work 15 hour shifts the whole weekend. After work on Saturday I will rush off to do some volunteer work at a Nursing Home/Assisted Living facility here in the city. On Sunday, I have normal services which I will have to play for. When I get off work Monday morning-back to school.
I have quite a few friends that live abroad and are unfamiliar with the functions of a Nursing or Assisted Living facility. So for those who don't know, I will explain what I am talking about. (Nursing homes provide around-the-clock skilled nursing care for the frail elderly who require a high level of medical care and assistance. Twenty-four hour-a-day skilled nursing services are available from medical staff/ Assisted Living facilities are for those who are more independent but still require 24hr medical staff) My parents and some of the youth from our church will be there also.
It's a priveledge and honor to be able to do this type of work. Many of the residents who live there have outlived their family. Then there are some who have family but their family have just forgotten about them. Many of them sit in their chairs from the morning until bedtime without outside interaction. Their medical conditions range from severe to moderate. For example, Mrs. Sally may be able to dress herself but she can't remember to take her medications that keep her blood pressure at a normal level or even go to the bathroom. Each individual varies.
On my last visit I met a woman who I will call Grace. Grace was a retired Registered Nurse. She proudly told me about her days as a Nurse. Her face glowed when she talked about her favorite past time. "Oh, honey I used to love to cook!" She asked me if I knew how to cook with a pressure cooker. "No Mam, " I replied. "Well, you need to learn how to do that, " she said in a loving motherly like voice. "I will," I said. Months later I bought a pressure cooker. Grace revealed to me that she had been married for over fifty five years. She had only one son who was a lawyer in another state. She didn't remember the state. "Have you seen my boy?" she asked me. I didn't know how to answer her. "No, Mam," was all I could say. But I knew I had to change the direction of our conversation. We both were silent for about five minutes. I grabbed her soft hand and asked, "So... tell me again, how do you use a pressure cooker?" was all I could come up with.
On my way home I can remember the anger I felt inside of me. I was mad. Damn mad, in fact. "How come her son doesn't visit her?" I asked myself. She was so nice. It didn't seem like she should even be there. Couldn't he allow her to live with him? "How could he live with himself?"
Then I remembered something my own Mother had told me. "Ki, don't worry about what everyone else isn't doing, just worry about what you should be doing." She was right! Doesn't it seem like Mothers' are always right? (someone please tell my teenager that...lol) Even if we are ignoring those in need-that is an act. The act of doing nothing.

Dear Reader, here I am in front of the computer typing in my pajamas. Healthy. Blessed. Thankful. and feeling very lazy for the moment. I need this time. We all need times like these to exhale. You have permission to take time out for yourself and even if it means doing nothing all day. But, is this really doing nothing? I may have not helped you, but I have helped myself today.
Sarah Palin said in a interview with Fox News' Greta Van Susteren Monday evening, she referred to bloggers as "kids in pajamas sitting in the basement of their parents' homes" spewing out mean and inaccurate things about her.
My response?

(lol) Don't worry, Governor I may be in my pajamas but I promise not to say anything mean or inaccurate about you!
"Vexation of spirit is a waste of timeNegative thinking, don't you waste your thoughtsVerbal conflict is a waste of wordPhysical conflict is a waste of fleshPeople will always be who they wantAnd that's what really makes the world go round'-Damian Marley





No comments: