Tuesday, November 18, 2008


Well, thank God I made it through this weekend! This "gal" is tired! There may be times in my life that I complain and whine but this is not one of them. On Saturday I clocked out and rushed to the Assistant Living Center. (I was a few minutes late but that's understandable.)
Everyone was already singing, clapping and smiling. The young ones from our church were busy passing out gifts to the residents. They used part of their savings to buy fruit for the entire facility! The others at our church had donated other personal items which would come in handy for those who have no source of income.
To my surprise, one of the long time staff members was still there. I say to my surprise because this type of work is mentally demanding. The employee turn over rate is always high. So, when I saw Ivan, one of the Nurses I had to run and give him a hearty hug. To our dismay the facility had undergone many changes since our last visit. (which was just earlier in the year) The facility was now a home for those who are suffering from Alzheimers. Alzheimer’s disease is a brain disorder named for German physician Alois Alzheimer, who first described it in 1906. Scientists have learned a great deal about Alzheimer’s disease in the century since Dr. Alzheimer first drew attention to it. Alzheimer's disease tangles the brain's nerve cells and can cause memory loss, confusion, and disorientation.
So, it really touched my heart to see the kids bravely approaching the residents and interacting with them. What I learned from this experience is that we have the power to instill fear, hate, remorse or love into children. (Not to say that they are always perfect little angels who obey every rule and guideline)....but I think we are headed in the right direction. I've often heard it said that many American children are disrespectful and spiriling down the wrong path . . .wish some of the naysayers could've witnessed this group.
"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~John W. Whitehead

No comments: