
The other day I was talking with my father about my plans for the summer. This summer I plan on taking a semester off from school and doing some missionary work . I have the option of either going to S. Africa, Ghana, or Nigeria. I haven’t made a decision on which country I will go to, yet. But, as I was discussing the details and options of each assignment with my father- he made a very good point. He listened to me go on and on about the various ways that I feel that I could help with the needs of each country. I was trying my best to tell him how badly I was needed. I even tried to be clever by quoting, Ghandi. “Be the change you want to see in the world,” I urged. I told him about some of the places that I felt I could be most useful. I even showed him booklets with different projects and itineraries. He listened with compassion and I could tell by the nods of his head that he agreed. From time to time he would moan in disbelief when I shared statistics and stories with him. He was familiar with some of the information, he said. In fact, he shared some of his future plans with me. He definitely agreed with my decision. He even told me that he had somethings that he was working on to help the underdeveloped countries. But, after I finished sharing my plans with him he just stared in silence. There was an odd moment of silence between us. I became so uncomfortable that I felt the need to say something. So, I blurted it out. “Daddy, what’s wrong?” “Well,” he slowly answered. And in the most loving and concerned voice, he uttered… “Who’s going to help fix the problems that we have here in America?” “What problem?” I asked. I wasn’t being sarcastic either. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am aware of the problems in the US but, I asked this question with all honesty. In my opinion, there are so many problems here I just wanted to know exactly what specific problem was he talking about. Then, in the same manner that I had just pleaded all my reasons for leaving this country for two weeks, my sensible father began to name all the problems that we have here.
Ok, I will summarize the list of problems that he stated for your sake because our discussion lasted for f few hours . The order that I have listed them in does not reflect priority. I just listed them randomly.
These are just a few of the problems that we are facing: The United States of America is facing tremendous financial crisis. Financial institutions are breaking down. The Great Depression forced many in America into poverty back in the 1930's. Could it happen again? Food banks around the country are turning people away because demand has surpassed supply. As gas prices continue to rise, so does the cost of food. Wages continue to decline against inflation which helped create a severe and urgent need for food. War in Iraq, high unemployment rates, education, budget, housing, energy policies, oil dependency, health care, health insurance, politicians, inflation, corruption within the system.
I felt like crying because we hadn’t even discussed the moral issues that this country is facing. It seems one can hardly watch the television anymore without being bombarded by profanity, sexually explicit content, or barely clothed women prancing around – and that’s just the commercials! How about schools? When I grew up, my school day started with the pledge of allegiance to our flag. Prayer was still allowed in schools back then, and my high school graduation opened and closed with prayers led by the local clergy. Saying the pledge of allegiance is disapproved of in many areas. We hadn’t discussed the issues facing American children: like sexting (another new wave that has struck- texting sexual messages amongst teens)

My father had made a good point. We have a lot of problems going on in America right now. To be honest, many Americans are tense. Many are worried. Some say that we have been here before and prevailed. While others say that this could possibly be the beginning of something grimmer.
So, who’s going to fix the problem that America is facing. Sadly, many people feel that our new President must bare the weight of our sorrows. But, I totally disagree with that notion. While I do believe that President Obama has the power within his reach to make our problems better or worse; its unfair to put that weight on any one human. I guess I have to listen to my own words. “Be the change that you want to see in the world.” Thank you, Daddy. Thank you, Ghandi.
No comments:
Post a Comment