
As I write this post I can actually hear the sounds of fireworks exploding through the air. This will go on all night! I'm not complaining. I should be used to it by now because this has been the routine in most American cities during this time of year for as long as I can remember. Matter of fact, I can recall my mother and father taking us to see the fireworks in Long Beach at the Queen Mary.(Quick history lesson:) The Queen Mary is a ship that was bigger, faster and more powerful than her predecessor the ship Titanic. The RMS Queen Mary lived a long life that included 1,001 successful Atlantic crossings. During World War II, she carried troops across the Atlantic and afterward, she ferried war brides and children to the United States and Canada and then returned to service as a transatlantic cruise ship. She now rests in the Long Beach, California harbor, converted into a hotel and tourist attraction.

Those were great memories. Can you imagine...we lived 11 blocks from the shore? So, all of our celebrations and festivites revolved around the water.
Now, that I live on the east coast some things have changed but not really when it comes to the 4th of July. The rockets and "black cats" are still sounding off. Tomorrow most people will attend large gatherings in someone's backyard or the park.
Hotdogs, hamburgers, ribs, steaks, and just about every edible thing will find its place on the grill. (lol) Kids will be running and screaming enjoying themselves under the blazing sun. Someone will start a water balloon fight. Adults will somehow or another find a reason to do the "electric slide" while the older folks just look on with amazement...or is it pity? And as soon as the sun sets?.. we all will make our way to see the "big firework show" that's usually downtown. For the past couple of years, the traffic downtown is so heavy that we normally find a side street and either sit on top of our truck or make the walk to be a better view. Whatever ends up happening I am sure that it will make a great July 4th, 2009!
No comments:
Post a Comment