Friday, July 3, 2009

Land that I love...

Tonight, July 3rd...I was listening to NPR's "Tell Me More" with host,Michel Martin on the way to work. In commemoration of Independence Day (July 4th) she did a interview, called Meditations On Freedom: From Oppression To Liberty. After the show I began to think about what freedom and living in this country means to me... Anyone who knows me knows that (sometimes) I tend to be a bit vocal the mistakes of my country. But, for the record I need to make it very clear that I love this country. Although, many people have the choice of choosing their homeland, somehow or another this land chose me...(and I am greatful in an odd way...its kind've hard to explain) I'm not going to turn this into a negative note about my country because with all of its past and current faux pas...I love my country. I am very proud to be an American. We have alot of freedom here. I appreciate the opportunity to live in such a place as this. From talking to many of my friends from other countries I think sometimes we, Americans tend to take our freedoms for granted. We have the freedom to do just about anything...well, any logical thing. I guess it all depends on your definition of logical. We have so many rights and laws that lately its been a bit confusing and contradictive. Some laws are absolutely necessary to hold together the fabric of a decent society. Some you might think are necessary, but aren’t on the books at all. Here's one-"A man who was caught driving naked was let go because there was no law against such behavior, according to Jacksonville.com...Police simply ordered him to put on some clothes, get back behind the wheel and drive home. They had to let him go because no law prohibits driving naked." But, nothings perfect. As, I told my neice the other day the beautiful thing about America is that not only is it a place for everyone but also the "Checks and Balances" of the US keep order and democracy in place. (most of the time) So,
Happy 4th! Happy Birthday America!!!

No comments: