Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving 2009

Thanksgiving Day is a harvest festival celebrated primarily in the United States and Canada. Traditionally, it is a time to give thanks for the harvest and express gratitude in general. Most stories of Thanksgiving history start with the harvest celebration of the pilgrims and the indians that took place in the autumn of 1621. Although they did have a three-day feast in celebration of a good harvest, and the local indians did participate, this "first Thanksgiving" was not a holiday, simply a gathering. There is little evidence that this feast of thanks led directly to our modern Thanksgiving Day holiday. Thanksgiving can, however, be traced back to 1863 when Pres. Lincoln became the first president to proclaim Thanksgiving Day. The holiday has been a fixture of late November ever since.
We just finished our Thanksgiving Dinner. As, I type at this computer, with a stuffed belly and satisfied soul I have so much to be thankful for. I am surrounded by the people who are most dear to me, my loved ones. My Father, has taught us once again, what it means to be a true, loving Father. Mom wasn't feeling well, so Dad volunteered to cook the entire spread this year. When he announced to us that he would be cooking, I thought perhaps it was him who wasn't feeling well. Did he really know what he was asking to do? Dad said things would go smoothly...his only request? For his three granddaughthers to spend the night with him to help him cook. As I reflect, on his request I realize that he just wanted to spend extra time with them because he ended up doing the majority of the work. The food was great, the time spent together even better. Dad didn't miss a beat. Everything that Mom normaly cooks, he cooked. (or he ordered)
So, what am I thankful for? Honestly, the simple things make me happy and thankful. A healthy heart that continues to beat even when I am sleep. Children who are healthy and able to learn. I work for a non-profit org. and the individuals that I work with are not able to learn. They are mentally disabled. Clean water to drink. I turn on the tap and the water comes out. Electricity. A lot of my friends that live abroad always tell me how sporatic the electricity can be in their area. The only time my electricity goes out is if I don't pay my bill. Oh and thank God, that I have a job. I like my job. My job makes me feel like I am at least making an impact in someone's world. Good health...I can use my hands to type, my eyes can see clearly, I can hear and speak. I am not in any type of Pain. Thank you, Lord! The list goes on and on....
Well, I have to end this post now. My family is waiting. We have a tradition in our family. To make ourselves feel a bit better we like to take a short walk. We are about to take a walk around the neighborhood. After that we are getting ready to light the fire place and watch the "Wizard of Oz".

No comments: