Friday, November 27, 2009

Red Box vs Cinema...

If you're in America you may have noticed that Redbox kiosks are popping up all over.They are in front of the grocery stores, gas stations, and every other shopping place you can name. I first discovered the Redbox by chance. I had planned on staying in and watching a good movie, so I headed off to Hollywood Video, the place where I had been renting videos for the last few years. The annual membership wasnt too expensive compared to the price of the movies. There was only one location left in my area so, I made the 15 minute quick drive only to find out that the last store had closed its doors for the final time. Going to the movies was out of the question because it just cost too much. The last time I went to the cinema I paid $12.00 per ticket for IMAX 3D
$48 for a family of four! IMAX is different from conventional theatres. To watch a movie in IMAX 3D you have to wear a special type of goggles which makes the objects appear as though they are right in front of you. The surround sound is awesome. Even though the I enjoyed watching the movie in IMAX, I vowed to only do this once a year because by the time I left I had spent $76.00!!! The price of food at the movies is ridiculous. So, going to the movies was out of the question, I'd much rather go home than give my money away.
Disappointed, I decided to go by the gas station to get some gas when I noticed the Redbox rental. The directions seems quite simple. Pick your movie. Swipe your credit card. Movie comes out. Bring it back before 9pm the following night...I decided to try it and I must say it was quite simple. No membership fee! No ridiculous prices and I got my wish! To watch a good movie in the privacy and comfort of my own home. Just one dollar! I'm yours Redbox!

No comments: