Monday (Update) June 13, 2011 Volunteer Orientation went well this this afternoon. We are encouraged because God is honoring our efforts. I think so highly of all the teachers and volunteers who are giving their time. The teachers that are giving their summers to do this are just phenominal! They could have easily committed themselves to "paid jobs" but they chose to devote their time freely to educate a few kids. That, is pure passion!As I watched my Mother today, the stress that I had come through the door with suddenly left. She is passionate about this also and I watched her with amazement. My parents are my heroes. I don't know if I mentioned it before but this entire idea was birthed in my Daddy's mind. For years, he always told us that his dream was to open a learning center that would help urban kids succeed. My Mother (who teaches) has always went far and above to help any child in need.
The center was not overflowing to capacity with volunteers, as it was on Saturday. In fact, you could count on two hands the small group that showed up today yet, we are encouraged and thankful for the ones who did come. Encouraged that more people will come when they have time. Encourage for the mixture of cultures that are working together under the name of onecommon cause-S.E.A.T! Encouraged that this might not be like my "colorful childhood" that I was blessed to have in Long Beach but, in our small space of the world....there is a place where "ALL" children and adults are working together. Encouraged that even though some people can't come because they are working, they are praying for S.E.A.T. Encouraged that people will remember our program the next time they visit Target or Walmart and purchase something for our students or volunteers because they understand that this is a free program. Encouraged that we are doing something that is good.
We are not complaining or trying to be grand or great! We are just trying to make the change that we want to see.
We can do no great things, only small things with great love. ~Mother Teresa
No comments:
Post a Comment